Tuesday 30 June 2009

English Civil War Cannon Ball found at Soggibottom


The cannon ball often sits forgotten by the fireplace.
On Sunday I relived the story of finding it by a wall in the garden, a few feet away opposite our back door.
I happened to be digging around in the same place this afternoon.
Nothing but the odd bug... no treasure (no weeds either).
OK, so I fib there are if you take off your sunglasses and really look.

When I unearthed this I had my hands deep into the base of the old wall and couldn't see what I was pulling out.
Skull was my first thought if I am honest. That was a fleeting thought because it is so heavy. I needed two hands to hold it.
We think it an English Civil War cannon ball because of the age of the cottage.
But if anyone knows differently we would love to hear from you.

This post is really for Charlie, Mel and Malcolm........ thanks for your great company on Sunday guys. Love to see old friends. We had such a good time we forgot to take any photo's for the blog.

1 comment:

ittybittyandpretty said...

oh my what a great find!! i forgot to take my camera today when we visited the most picturesque place today! bummer
%*_*%