Friday 15 October 2010

How to keep roses for Christmas Day


It seems unbelievable we still have roses out in the middle of October in Soggibottom's cottage garden.
Now is the time to cut and keep the buds if you have any. They need to be about this size.


The idea being that you put them in a tin and bury them in the ground.
The word unbelievable again, but it works.


On Christmas Eve you dig up the tin and then place the buds in water.
We tried it a few years ago, call us sceptical........ we didn't think it would work.
But it really does.
You might not want to go digging in the garden on Christmas Eve but think of all the fresh air you will get.


We still have strawberries outside as well as roses.
Although they never taste quite the same as when the sun is at it's peak in the Summer.


The weather has changed dramatically over the last few days.
Good to see there is still so much alive and kicking outside.


Steel grey skies above which seems to make colours more intense than normal.


California poppies in Devon in October, hardy little souls.


How can you not love colour.


Or strawberries.


Amie didn't have strawberries, she was sneaky and came from around the back of the plate before anyone could stop her. Well, it was ice cream !

16 comments:

Dolores said...

Good for Amie. She found the good stuff. I do love all those photos - especially the first one. Those buds are just so darn gorgeous just as they are.
I hope you bury them again and show us this year 'cause there are a lot of us skeptics (or sceptics) out here. Do they still smell nice too?

Karen~The Barely There Primitive Bear said...

I love your flowers! I have never heard of burying a rose. I am interested in seeing that it works.
My roses didn't bloom very long, so
I am surprised that you still have some, although
several years ago,in Texas, in October, I had roses.
MMmmm Amie and her ice cream, gotta
love that smart little dog!

Bear Hugs~Karen

Caroline B said...

Hmmmm, I still have a few rosebuds but am ever the sceptic! I'll keep an eye and see if it works for you and in the meantime am going to pick mine and have them now instead of Christmas.
Amie is no fool - always go for the ice-cream!

Soggibottom said...

Dolores you should know by now that a dictionary and I are always at odds. Actually I wasn't going to bury the rose buds this year. But try it and surprise........ IT WORKS
xxxxxxxxx

Soggibottom said...

Have to add here I had the cheek this week to pick Karen up for one of her typing error's.... sorry Karen :-)xxxxxxxxxxxxxx I am the world's worst :-)

Christine said...

Amie's one clever dog! Yum!
The intense colours are gorgeous - you have a lovely garden...
Christine

WendyCarole said...

I never knew that you are a mine of information. I f I had roses I would try it.

Amie that ice cream looks yummy.

♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥ said...

All your flowers are so beautiful, especially the roses. Now if only we had some rosebuds, we could try keeping them for Christmas:) We can't wait to see yours this year.

Woos ~ Phantom, Thunder, and Ciara

Faye Henry said...

Guess what Midge? I believe you!!lol.. If we buried the roses it would probably take a pick axe to get them out of the ground since it will no doubt be frozen... As always I simply love your photos... Or is it your camera? lol.
Ok, I am done... Have a good weekend...
Hugs.

Allie said...

I've never heard of that - I'd love to try it but we don't have roses anymore! Your flowers are incredible, Midge, the colors are so intense - so beautiful.
Heehee - sneaky Ames - good for her!

Tweedles -- that's me said...

You take the most gorgeous photos!
And of course all these flowers live in your yard, so we must say,,, your yard is beautiful too.
Never heard of putting roses in a tin or a can,,,, but it sorta sounds like words in the making for a country and western song!
That little Ames... what a smart girl she is,,,, and so adorables.
love
tweedles

QuiltSue said...

Oh I wish I'd known about the roses about a week ago. The last of ours have opened now, so I'll just have to try and remember to do it next year.

WoolenSails said...

Your gardens are so beautiful.
My vegetables were still growing, but with wind and cool air, nothing is worth picking.

Debbie

Anonymous said...

Good to see there is so much in yur garden right now. I still have roses but not a lot else.

Good on Amie. Our hounds are like that. The old ladies are particularly fond of cream teas too.

Tweedles -- that's me said...

Guess what? We are going to try the roses!!
So now we have questions,,,
do you wrap the roses in anything when you put them in the tin?
Does a canned food can work?
xoxoxo
tweedles

Lynda (Granny K) said...

This is most interesting, Midge. I wonder if putting them in the freezer would work too?