Friday 6 November 2009

Things you never knew about a Christmas Pudding


It's only around the corner....... as always I won't be hurried. If I take my time too much Christmas will have passed and Easter will be a few weeks away.....

I cheated and brought a Christmas pudding. It's not that I haven't made them before, I always used to make them. Brought to the Christmas table swimming in brandy, flames dancing all around the plate. Last year we brought one from Bulleigh Farm shop and wow.....much better than my burnt Brandy offerings.



That's right, the Farm where we buy our eggs and Bessie the farm's sheepdog who will only let us out of the car after she has had cookies.

Good tip:- always have a pocket of cookies when visiting a farm.

Back to the humble Plum/Christmas pudding.....

Older pictures of Christmas puddings tend to show them as large footballs, they were tied up in a cloth or a bag and then boiled on wash day. (Not in my new washing machine they aren't). It seems earlier puddings were long and round and shaped like thick sausages. They consisted of chopped up meat, suet, oatmeal and spices. Cooked in the scalded intestines of a sheep or pig. Served hot at the beginning of a meal as the first course.........have I put you off yet?

Bulleigh Farm are displaying their Christmas cakes next week. BE QUICK if you want one as they aren't around for long. Don't forget your pocket full of Bessie's cookies.

2 comments:

WendyCarole said...

My mum used to make Christmas puddings but I have to confess I never have. I never got into unnecessary cooking


Love the dog

DAWNIE said...

I enjoyed reading about your the history of Christmas puddings. A make them every year, and always have to do a few spare for a few special friends. The family just love the "cloth" puddings better than my "steamed" ones, so the good old broomstick is getting ready again once again this year for them to hang from after they are cooked to dry out.