Wednesday 1 September 2010

How to make Plum Jam with a cat


Thought you might like to see the new cat at Soggibottom.
Cats every where lately so I thought I would join in.
You will see this little cat again, you have a sneak preview for now.
Tiny guy. 3 and a half inches high.


As for one of the other cats at Soggibottom.
Mew doesn't only sneak Amie's cookies. Catnip mice are at the bottom.
We had a clear out of drooled over toys a few days ago, to get to the good stuff you have to get right in the box. It's always best done when Amie is asleep and not watching.
Mew thought no one was watching as I had my mind on other things in the kitchen.
.

Making plum jam with plums from our tree. The first year we had 3 plums, the third year, three pots of jam. Still enough plums left over to eat just as they are.

Easy plum jam.

1 lb stoned plums
1lb of sugar
I always add a teaspoon of dried or fresh Ginger as well.

Simmer the fruit in a little water, not too much.
Add the sugar and stir until dissolved.
Boil rapidly until set.



I might call this lap quilt Plum jam.
I felt rather guilty a while ago when I joined in Sue's quilt along.
I never made a thing that day. I was busy playing games and posting Alvin and the Chipmunks. So hopefully SUE I have now made up for it.
One ribbon lap quilt coming along.

If you want to join Sue next time I know she would be pleased to see you.
I had a laugh a minute that day, also some great quilts to be seen.
Just not mine on that day.

14 comments:

Heather said...

Oh! The kitty and the quilt look lovely!!! :)

... I expected actions shots of toy theft though!

Sue Doran said...

Both cats look very cute and that is one lovely quilt, beautiful colours.

I was a bit worried from your title that you were going to put Mew or Frank in with the plums! My dad gave me a huge bag of plums from his tree at the weekend so if they don't get eaten raw (they are sooooo juicy!) I may well try your recipe.

Allie said...

What a darling little kitty - well, they both are, but Mew isn't exactly little. Your plum jam sounds delicious!
Midge, that quilt is just beautiful, I like Plum Jam for the name of it. So so pretty!!!!!

Lynda (Granny K) said...

Plum jam! - My favourite!

Heckety said...

So...Mew wasn't actually an ingredient in the Plum Jam....whew!!!

Must plant a plum tree- the elephants always got them in Eat Africa- the plums I mean, and the carrots.

LOVE your quilt squares, especially the plum fabric! And the cute kitty!

Beyond the Dog Dish said...

OH my goodness... I am so happy I popped by!! Your plum jam sounds wonderful. Must try, will let you know if i bomb out lol
<3 Miss Kodee @Bark'n About

Dolores said...

Tiny cat is the cutest - ever. Quilt's lookin' good.
I just make pear pie with our bounty. It's been way too hot here to do much of anything.

Tweedles -- that's me said...

I had to hop skip and jump over to your bloggy to taste that plum jam.
Oh I can just smell it, and taste it!
And that little kitty is precious!
How do you stay so talented?
Is there anything you cannot do?
Quilts and jams and bears and kittys.!
love
tweedles

Caroline B said...

Considering last time I spoke to you they were a pile of pieces of fabric, that's an impressive quilt! Jam looks great - I'm waiting to get access to the damson tree at work so we can make even more jam this year!
Glad you don't have to pick the cat hairs out of your jam.......

Anonymous said...

Great quilt Midge. I have apples and pears to deal with today. Not got on to the plums so thanks for the recipe.

Lovely lap quilt. Sewign is fun!

Aww what a sweet little chap.

QuiltSue said...

Plum Jam is a great name for the quilt. It looks really great, but don't go giving yourself sewing-fatigue there's a Quiltalong day each month until November remember. I'm hoping the fabric I've ordered will arrive in time.
I loved the photo of the cat about to raid the toy basket.

WendyCarole said...

love the kitty and the quilt

Unknown said...

plum jam sound delish and the quilt is so fun looking! hey i don't mind if you dissagree with me on my views of God, Stephen Hawkings does too! have a great weekend.

Joanna said...

Your pets are too cute. Plum jam is a neat name for your quilt. The next qal is coming up. I look forward to it.