Wednesday 3 March 2010

Village stocks and Chiltern bear


A conversation in the cottage yesterday turned into a conversation about the village stocks.
Here they are. Our village's lovable village stocks.

Who would you like to put into them ?
Endless conversation, about who, might have suddenly filled your mind.

I have posted the stocks on here before, it was a long time ago.
Luckily you can see they need a good dust so they couldn't have seen any "action" for ages.




Bruce is back by demand of my overflowing email box.

My own fault really as I should have told you that I believe him to be a Chiltern bear.
An English bear. I did, once take him to an expert. Who didn't know who made him !

As always with a bear with no label, I decided to do my own detective work.

By the shape of his head and ear placement, nose, body shape. Comparing him to other Chiltern bears helped more than anything. Although I am no expert either, so if you know, I would love to hear from you.

Chad Valley toys took over Chiltern in 1967. Then Chad Valley was taken over by Palitoy in 1978. For some reason all Chad Valley records and catalogues were destroyed, so dating isn't easy I think Bruce was made around 1953. He is older than me....
Thank goodness some one is.

8 comments:

Dolores said...

He certainly is a handsome bear.

Christine said...

Now that is a topic for consideration! Who should go in the stocks?
Another lovable bear looking very cavalier!

WendyCarole said...

he looks lovely
I am older than you too

Anonymous said...

He is very nice. I bought 2 second-hand bears today :) But both are quite contemporary :)

Anonymous said...

He is lovely!

Oh, who should go in the stocks...? I would put my former Philosophy professor in them if I could get away with it! :P

Allie said...

I can think of someone I'd like to see in those stocks! Bruce is delightful.

Lynda (Granny K) said...

I once tried out the stocks at a Country Fair and didn't like it AT ALL, especially as an 'enactor' decided to terrorise me with a black Leech whilst I was fastened in!

Carol Schockling Lawecki said...

Bruce is adorable!! What a lucky find he was!