Thursday 12 July 2012

Positive things about rain in the South of Devon


It can be moody and black but wow, the clouds speak for themselves. I love this photo.. I took that...
It's a bay called Blackpool sands, on the South West Coast of Devon, just South of Dartmouth.
Karina and I once chased each other to a certain point swimming out to sea in this bay. That year, I might have had the speed, but she had the figure.  It must have been the last time I ever braved English water's, it was so cold and yet it was the height of Summer.


I didn't take this photo, I wasn't the one who braved the rain.
Dartmouth in the rain, 2012, July 12th... what a year to remember for water in England, drought conditions .... Talk about Soggi. (slip of the finger Y).


This is the market square in Dartmouth at the height of a deluge of rain. How do we know that ?


The market is open on Tuesday and Friday ( I think), yesterday the flag stones were wet and the tables empty.
Most of the planned open air events have been cancelled.this year around our part of the South West... very wise... but what a shame...


I had to take this photo, not to show you how empty things are because of the rain but,  because of the floor.Wow, wouldn't I just love to have this floor in the cottage. .
It's not a place to walk if your unsteady on your feet........just saying............


At least the downpour gave us the chance to fit Freya Rose Blossom's new collar. We have been trying for ages to find her a thin collar that actually fits her and that is easy to unclip . She could also have had a new lead, but I am still unwilling to give up a certain purple number which gives me memories as I clip it to Freya's collar... it might have been a year and a few weeks, but... I find it so hard to give up Amie's lead/leash.
Maybe the next time we are in Dartmouth, it will be different, but for now, Amie's purple lead is Freya's town lead and keeps her close.  I like the thought that Amie is still right beside me. Although looking down to Freya the little red fox who is so unlike Amie....
I never once woke up to a fluffy ear in my mouth when Amie was around... Amie was a dog dolly. Freya is um ... different...


This is another photo of Dartmouth I have taken so many times, you can see part of the inner harbour. I just love to see and pass this four story building. There is a shop at the bottom and one of us often goes in and out.


There are other view's of Dartmouth,  heading along the coast road toward another of the beaches we love to visit..It looks good when the sun shines, but just as good when the clouds are moody.


Another photo of Dartmouth, this is the Butterwalk. A certain miss mutt will never know, although the sign to the museum shows,. NO DOGS....  Her ancestors did go up there along with their owner Charles the second.
In theory Miss Mutt has the freedom of London.. does that include the Olympics ? OR DARTMOUTH ?
One day, me being me, I will challenge the NO DOGS rule .. but it was wet..and time to head for the car.


She has had a very busy day.  Walking around Dartmouth takes concentration.
Freya Rose Blossom does it with panache. She needs a new red lead to go with her collar...

I wouldn't cuddle up to my shoe....

Catflapcavalier

More to come ....Freya is entered for the Bloggie Olympics...
She already has a gold from us. What a beautiful faithful little mutt :-) Our red fox and star.  x x x 

9 comments:

Sandee said...

Great photos! Too bad you can't send some of that rain to the Western USA States! Wild fires galore and we can't see our mountains due to all the smoke. Luckily for us, none of the fires are close...just the smoke found its way here. Temperatures hovering around 100°F.
Mmmmm, toasty.

ittybittyandpretty said...

what a lovely post...you keep on using that purple lead as long as you have to ~_~ you always take the best photos. xxrosey

WoolenSails said...

Wonderful photos and I loved your first one, nice visual appeal.

Debbie

Allie said...

I'd walk around Dartmouth any day with you and Freya, rain or no rain. And I would LOVE to have that floor in my house. Well, a different house...

Tweedles -- that's me said...

Beautiful photos and of course beautiful "red fox"!
Darrmouth is so beautiful. We love that floor too.
love
tweedles

Caroline B said...

The weather may be rubbish but it certainly produces some spectacular skies. Thanks for a virtual trip round the coast, for those of us stuck inland, it's a treat!

WendyCarole said...

It's good to find some positive things to say about the rain.
The market square looks so sad all empty and wet.

The Great Yorkshire Show has been cancelled this year.

Yesterday we had some sun :)

Old Kitty said...

Oh such rain!! It's such a shame the market was cancelled! Let's hope for calm August weather please!

Awwww lovely Freya!! You may be nothing like angel Amie but you certainly channel her gorgeous spirit!!

Boooooo to the No Dogs rule! Take care
x

Anonymous said...

Lovely rainy weather. I wish it was raining here, it's much too hot! XOXO