Thursday 7 October 2010

Amie Soto Blossom's Christmas cake recipe


We all like to eat and drink.
Man, mouse or mog,
But no one likes it more than me........ an Amie Soto Blossom dog.

To every dog who likes to cook, and share the kitchen chores,
Remember not to overlook a pair of well-scrubbed paws



Now we will begin to bake a Christmas cake today.
I will give you the recipe and then your away.

200g/80z Raisins ......1. 1/3 cups
200g/80z Currants....1. 1/3 cups
200g/80z sultanas.....1. 1/3 cups white raisins
100g/40z mixed candied chopped peel...2/3 cups
50g/20z ground almonds ....1/2 cup
50g/20z glace cherries quartered, rinsed and dried. 1/3 cup
200g/80z butter....1 cup of butter
150g/60z soft brown sugar....1 cup
4 large eggs
200g/8oz plain flour....2 cups of all purpose flour
pinch of salt
I teaspoon mixed spice....1 teapsoon apple pie spice
1 tablespoon brandy

(you know the really good stuff you keep for when the vet visits).

We don't just do metric and imperial measures here, oh, no.
American measures to the right as shown.

Before you start, line up your tools.
Stand them in a row.
No hairs, please in the pot,
Fine, then off we go.



Line and grease a 20cm/8inch round deep cake tin with greased (waxed) proof paper.
Mix the dried fruits, peel almonds and cherries together.
Cream the butter until soft, then add the sugar and continue creaming until very light and fluffy and pale in colour.

Beat in the eggs one at a time, following each with a spoonful of flour. Sift the remaining flour with the salt and spice and fold into the creamed mixture, followed by the brandy and fruit mixture.
Turn into the prepared tin and level the top.

Bake in a cool oven (150. C/300F, gas mark 2) for 3 and 1/2 to 3 and 3/4 hours.
Store wrapped in foil.




I have teased you, I don't really eat Christmas cake.
I normally sleep right through Christmas and then only wake.
For anything Santa has brought, you never do know just what.
He could have brought me cookies or ice cream.
Whatever it is, I tend to scoff the lot.

From Amie Soto Blossom to Sue at Quilt Times for her Quilt-a-long Christmas.

14 comments:

Caroline B said...

You've just reminded me it is time to make the Xmas cake! But you forgot the MOST important bit....unwrap the cake once a week and sprinkle it with a good tablespoonful of brandy until Xmas, by which time it will be able to decorate itself...yum!

Soggibottom said...

Hum.... yes, you mean the Brandy that the vet wouldn't even have a sniff of :-) x x x

Karen~The Barely There Primitive Bear said...

Oh, it sounds good! I love the pics of Amie, especially the one with the santa hat! I hope you are having a great day at Soggibottom!

Bear Hugs~Karen

♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥ said...

Sounds like fruit cake to us:) Mom loves fruit cake with a good hot cup of tea.

Hard to believe it is already time to be thinking of Christmas.

Woos ~ Phantom, Thunder, and Ciara

WendyCarole said...

great poem for national poetry day. If I was into baking I might try to make the cake xxx

Dolores said...

A bit too early for Christmas here. It's Thanksgiving this weekend and then my b-day (shhh), then Maili's b-day and then it's Christmas. I used to make Christmas cake and Clare loves it. I should go find some candied fruit and maybe start on the cake. Hmmm I wonder if we have any brandy at all...

Jan Mader said...

Well you certainly have me thinking about Christmas!!! Maybe I'll even start shopping early this year. I KNOW I'LL NEED CAKE!!

Beyond the Dog Dish said...

OH YUM! Thanks I think I need to try this. The poem was cute and love that little hat on you!
<3 Miss Kodee @Bark'n About

Allie said...

Now that is the sweetest and cleverest recipe I've ever seen - well done Amie and Midge!

Anonymous said...

I used to make my Christmas cake in the Summer each year and feed it brandy each week. Unfortunately no one is really into Christmas cake or Christmas pud. In fact very big fat rats mentioning no particular family member were known to come into the kitchen and pilfer the marzipan layer! These days I make marzipan covered in choc. They disappear fast. Sometimes there are even morello cherries in the centre.

Heather said...

She's a rhyming fool! She could probably eat all the cake she wants... all that rhyming must burn a lot of calories!

WoolenSails said...

That looks like how I used to frost, that was the only good part of the cake, lol.

Debbie

Tweedles -- that's me said...

This post is sooo cute,
and fragrant,
and sounds pretty
and makes us happy!
what more could it do?
well the photos of that little Amies has us smiling....

thanks for this!
love
tweedles

Joanna said...

I love fruitcake! Amie, do you really sleep through Christmas? Truth be told, sometimes I want to, too. I like the time before Christmas more.