Wednesday 10 June 2009

A garden is a fragile place


Back to bees.....

Bees are in rapid decline, as I mentioned in the last post, so many I find that are dead or dying.
I won't count the one I found this afternoon in a water bucket, trying to do the dog paddle
(resuced and left to dry out).

The varroa mite has been the main cause of the loss of our bees.
It's a parasitic external mite that feeds off the bees, making it responsible for the death of many bee colonies. They also transmit viruses among the colony.
Some pesticides are also regarded as one of the main causes of the decline in bees also climate change. Wetter summers and mild winters.

Bees are clever little workers. They are the ultimate GREEN MACHINE foraging from plant to plant, picking up pollen and transferring it from one flower to another. Without this many plants, flowers and fruits wouldn't exist.

The Soggibottom garden wouldn't exist.
The little guy on the poppy........ is very welcome to be there.

3 comments:

ittybittyandpretty said...

so true!
%*_*%

Anonymous said...

It seems that bees are in decline everywhere these days. It worries me. Just the other day we visited Brendan's great grandparents and his grandfather mentioned to me that he wasn't seeing or hearing nearly as many bees as last year. When we visit again later this summer I will bring Tony's bee box instruction with me.

Soggibottom said...

Good one..... he will be really pleased it has helped. I did moan and moan I WOULD LIKE a bee box for ages, he hasn't had the time this weekend, but a BUG Box is next on the list.FOR THE GOOD BUGS that it!