Wednesday 5 January 2011

Victorian - Edwardian lace and beadwork


Different posting than the normal Soggibottom, to start the New Year.


I promise, it will lead to something else during the next few weeks. One thing will lead to another eventually, you will see as the weeks go on.

My lace iron, that's the one on your left, normally lives on a shelf in the kitchen.
The 2011 iron is the one I use normally on the right. Too good an opportunity to miss not to display the old lace iron among beautiful lace.


The embroidery is mine, by the way, it's a table cloth that only comes out at Christmas.
Another good opportunity to show as it was in my ironing heap/pile/climbing the walls mountain.


Back to lace.


All this came to in a plastic bag and the great colour of dirty mud.


It's been soaking for a very long time, I'm sure a Victorian - Edwardian lace expert would have had a pink fit to see me soaking and trying to hand wash this lot.


It's now as clean as I think it can possibly be.


This is only a small amount.


I love to look at other people's art. I normally have to keep my hands in my pockets as I always want to touch. This lot has had hands on cleaning.


Lace and silk collar.


Beautiful Lace work.


Also bead work.


Closer look.


Now what to do with it all ?


Eye's off the Albanian cut work tablecloth, it's another that only comes out for Christmas, it's just about to be put away for next year.
Love Christmas, hate taking everything down. Always great to see special things when they come out again though.

How old is all the lace ? Not really sure.
Beautiful, clean and ironed, it even smells good, well better !
Just about to be put away.... for a while.
It seems a shame to decorate a teddy bear with, unless you have other idea's. I'm sure you all have.

20 comments:

♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥ said...

All of that lace and embroidery work is just beautiful. There was a time when I used to do a lot of crocheting with mercerized cotton and made some pretty doilies. I even did some crewel work too, but the old eyes make that a tough one these days. I can't wait to see what you will do with all that lace.

Woos ~ Phantom, Thunder, and Ciara

WoolenSails said...

That is a beautiful find and yes I would use it on teddies and doll clothes. The full pieces would be gorgeous on clothes, would make a beautiful accent on the front.

Debbie

Christine said...

Midge all that lace is beautiful. You cleaned it up very nicely. I bet a little touch on a bear or some other projects would be wonderful.

Old Kitty said...

Your embroidery is beautiful - very pretty with gorgeous colours!!

Oh but look at these lace!! And the little iron!! And the beadwork is stunning. Wow. What a find! Well done you for rescuing them and giving them another lease of life here!! Take care
x

Lynda (Granny K) said...

The old lace is lovely, i bet you enjoyed rescuing it.

Joanna said...

Gorgeous stuff. They are works of art and to appreciated. I wonder what Antiques Roadshow would say about them.

Cindy said...

What gorgeous lace. I absolutely love lace. I have one crocheted lace circular tablecloth from my grandmother and I'll never part with it. It's definitely an heirloom.

Tweedles -- that's me said...

Midge
What gorgeous treasure you have found and tenderly cleaned up.
Wow,, the beauty in all of that is unreal.. I know you will know exactly what to do with all of it..
Its so dainty,, and if only it could talk,,, all the stories it would tell.
love
tweedles

Caroline B said...

Drool..I'd like to get my hands on some of thst - I have no idea what for, I just love to look at lace and marvel at the craftmanship. I'll be interested to see what you do with it!

Allie said...

So so beautiful, Midge - I've never heard of a lace iron, how interesting! I would absolutely use it, for bears clothes, for purses, whatever you can find. Better to use it and enjoy it, I think. Love the tablecloth that you made, you did a wonderful job!

Sue Doran said...

I am very interested to see what you do with all that lovely lovely lace. Beautiful christmas tablecloth! I have ideas to make a christmas tablecloth myself this year.

Shhhh ... don't mention ironing!!!

Dolores said...

Lovely lace. Ok, my suggestion for some of the lace? What about a jabot for a new bear - an Edwardian bear?
My Christmas tablecloth is now a huge red polyester one that washes wonderfully and I don't have to iron. Best of all it fits the table with the addition.

Sue said...

What lovely lace. I recently bought a bag full of pieces of lace at a garage sale. I haven't had a chance to take it all out and look it over. I'm not sure what to do with it, but I couldn't pass it up.
Sue

Myra said...

Gorgeous laces there!!! I haven't a clue what to do with it, but I am sure you will put it to good use! 8-)

Beyond the Dog Dish said...

I just love your table cloth. I want to know how long that took you. What a treasure. Your lace is lovely,I'm betting your fixes something smashing for a whole lot of bears? Collars?

lupie said...

What a lovely collection of lace, and the iron, is so small!

Thanks for sharing with us!

lupie said...

And your embroidery is beautiful!! :)

WendyCarole said...

wonderful lace and embroidery

Deborah said...

The lace so pretty! I love lace and old, primitive clothes. My husbands grandmother did lace work like this. It is beautiful!
Have a nice weekend!
xxoo
Deborah

Remington said...

You certainly do mice embroidery work! That is beautiful! Can't wait to see what you make from all the lace!